What Cyprus Taught Me About Slowing Down
"Some places change the way you travel. Others quietly change the way you live."
Life has a habit of speeding us up.
This was one of the first moments I realised slowing down wasn't wasting time—it was giving myself the space to think, breathe and notice what was already around me.
I hope this story encourages you to pause every now and then. You never know what you might discover.
I Wasn't Impressed
When people ask me why I love Cyprus so much, they often expect me to talk about the beaches, the weather or the food.
The truth is, none of those things made me fall in love with the island.
In fact, when I first came to Cyprus, I wasn't particularly impressed.
My first visit was with the British Army. I didn't get to experience much beyond Limassol and the surrounding areas. It was pleasant enough, but it didn't leave a lasting impression.
The second time I returned, again with work, I had a little more free time. Like many people, I visited the places Cyprus is famous for. The beaches were beautiful, the sea was crystal clear and the sunshine was exactly what you'd expect from a Mediterranean island.
But to me, it was just another holiday destination.
I've always preferred to wander away from the tourist trails. I like finding the places that don't appear on postcards. The small villages, quiet roads and unexpected conversations are what stay with me long after I've returned home.
At that point, Cyprus hadn't shown me any of that.
Everything Changed
When I came back for a third time, it was different. I was posted here for three years with the Army. My role was demanding and stressful, and I was already planning my next chapter. I intended to leave the Army and move back to Africa, so my mind was constantly focused on work and the future.
On my days off, I made a decision.
Instead of staying in my accommodation, I would get in the car and simply drive.
No itinerary.
No destination.
Just curiosity.
Those drives slowly changed everything.
I began stumbling across places that most visitors never see. Tiny villages where time seemed to move more slowly. Quiet fishing harbours where people sat talking for hours. Little cafés where nobody was in a hurry to leave. Roads that twisted through hills simply because they could.
One of the first places that truly stayed with me was the site of one of the earliest known human settlements on the island. Perched high on a hill, it overlooked the landscape in every direction. As I walked around, I found myself thinking about the people who had once lived there.
How did they survive?
What were their families like?
What did they worry about?
How different were they from us, really?
Learning To Pause
For the first time in a long while, my mind wasn't filled with work.
It was simply... quiet.
Those days became something I looked forward to.
After particularly hectic weeks, I'd disappear again. Sometimes I'd find a tiny fishing village, order a coffee and simply watch life unfold around me. I'd chat with local people whose lives had nothing to do with the military or the pressures I'd left behind for the day.
Without realising it, I was giving myself permission to pause.
The sea had always been my escape, but for years I'd hardly had the opportunity to enjoy it. Cyprus gave that back to me.
Rediscovering The Sea
I found my favourite beach and returned to it time and time again. Sometimes I'd swim. Sometimes I'd sit with a book. Sometimes I'd simply listen to the waves and watch the horizon.
Not every moment needed to be productive.
Not every silence needed to be filled.
Looking back now, I realise Cyprus wasn't changing my life overnight.
It was changing the way I experienced it.
It taught me that slowing down isn't about doing nothing. It's about creating enough space to notice what's already around you.
What Cyprus Really Taught Me
Life continued to throw its curveballs, and there were still difficult days ahead. But somewhere along those quiet roads, peaceful beaches and sleepy villages, I began reconnecting with something I'd lost.
Nature.
Stillness.
Perspective.
I don't believe Cyprus has all the answers, and I certainly don't think a beautiful place can solve life's problems.
But I do believe that sometimes we become so busy surviving that we forget how to stop.
Cyprus reminded me.
It reminded me that a walk without a destination, a coffee without checking the time, or an afternoon listening to the sea can be enough to quieten a busy mind.
I came to Cyprus because of my job.
I stayed because it quietly taught me a different way to live.
And for that, I'll always be grateful.
If you're looking for a different side of Cyprus...
If this article resonated with you, perhaps you'd enjoy experiencing the quieter side of the island for yourself.
At GOAT Adventures Cyprus we create small-group and private adventures that take you beyond the tourist hotspots and into the villages, mountains and landscapes that made me fall in love with Cyprus.



.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment